Our story is told in the book of Ruth. It is a brief story — only four chapters — yet we find it full of rich teaching opportunities about loyalty, kindness, and devotion, and caring for and accepting the marginalized and “outsiders.”
It’s a love story of the best kind!
It shows us a picture of what God’s love is like.
Hebrew (the original language of this story) has a word for this sort of love: hesed (pronounced: HEH-sed). Hesed is often translated as “lovingkindness” or “mercy,” but neither of these words fully conveys that hesed means acting out of unswerving loyalty. Not surprisingly hesed typifies God.
Watch this short (2 minute) video to get a quick overview of our story. (If reading this in an email, you can watch this video on YouTube.)
Join us as we explore this story!
On Sundays, at the downtown location…
|Date||Our workshops for 1st through 5th graders…|
|10/11||4th grade||1st grade||3rd grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
|10/18||2nd grade||5th grade||4th grade||3rd grade||1st grade|
|10/25||5th grade||2nd grade||1st grade||4th grade||3rd grade|
|11/1||Worship with your family.
Read the scripture ahead of time.
|11/8||3rd grade||4th grade||2nd grade||1st grade||5th grade|
Note: Room assignments are in flux these days.
Check the bulletin for the location of workshops.
And here’s what the 6th graders will be doing on Sundays downtown… (They’ll always be in the Pine Room!)
|Art Workshop||Assist the 2nd graders in their Art Workshop||To be announced||Worship with your family. Read the scripture ahead of time.||To be announced|
What’s happening in each workshop?
- In the Art Workshop students will braid with wheat. (It’s as close to barley as we could get!)
- In the Games Workshop students will participate in a key verse relay race, and a “Stick Together” balloon challenge. The class will also will visit the time-line mural.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will create barley biscuits.
- In the Puppets Workshop students will watch a popsicle-stick puppet show that tells the story. Then they will sse handle-bag puppets to retell the story of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz.
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of the animated video from Nest Entertainment, Ruth.
And on Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule…
|Date||Workshop or Activity|
|10/17||Worship with your family. Read the scripture ahead of time.|
|10/31||Worship with your family. Read the scripture ahead of time.|
On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC our Cool Disciples experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops. If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI.
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to email@example.com. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.