In both venues kids experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops.
October’s Rotation (a fancy word for a Bible story) is on Psalm 23. Check out this Bible passage on-line here.
How do Saturday night and Sunday morning differ? On Saturdays at our Green Wood campus the age focus is from 3-9. The venue is everyone all together in one group, experiencing one workshop every Saturday (even on the first Saturday of a month). If your child doesn’t like crowds (and if you like the relaxed worship atmosphere) then check out Green Wood on Saturdays at 5 PM.
On Sunday mornings at our downtown location our Cool Disciples (our 1st – 6th graders) experience one of six workshops broken down into groups by grade level. The Downtown Rotation lasts for 3 weeks as kids attend worship (and Communion) with their parents on the first Sunday of every month. Check us out on Sunday’s at 9:30 AM.
For Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule for October…
|10/1||Games Workshop||Children will play a fun game that will help them reflect on how they choose the right path and what might distract them along the way.|
|10/8||Art Workshop||Discuss the word pictures found in Psalm 23. Use watercolors to paint a visual image of the psalm.|
|10/15||Storytelling Workshop||Children will hear about sheep and the job of a shepherd from a storyteller dressed as a Bible times character.|
|10/22||Cooking Workshop||Learn more about sheep, focusing on Psalm 23:1. Design sheep-shaped sugar cookies. Will kids be able to recognize their sheep?|
|10/29||Games Workshop||In this Games workshop play a relay type of game called “Follow me to the Lord’s House.” Then play Pictionary to work on learning Psalm 23.|
For Sundays at the downtown location, here is the schedule…
|Room 212||Room 215||Room 211||Pine Room||Social Hall||Room 204|
|10/9||2nd grade||5th grade||3rd grade||6th grade||4th grade||1st grade|
|10/16||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade||5th grade||6th grade||closed, see note below for 3rd grade|
|10/23||3rd grade||6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
** On the 16th the 3rd graders will be receiving Bibles in worship during the children’s moment. Then they’ll head for Calkins Hall for a special class about the Bible.
On the 30th everyone will attend a special worship service called “All God’s Children,” featuring kids in leadership roles.
What’s happening in each workshop downtown?
- In the Art Workshop students will discuss the word pictures found in Psalm 23 and use watercolors to paint a visual image of the psalm.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will learn about sheep and shepherds, focusing on Psalm 23:1. Design sheep-shaped sugar cookies. Will kids be able to recognize their sheep?
- In the Games Workshop students will participate in two games. First a relay race called “Follow me to the Lord’s House.” Then play Pictionary to work on learning Psalm 23.
- In the Newsroom Workshop students will create and videotape a news broadcast on a portion of Psalm 23 (verses 4-6).
- In the Puppets Workshop students will use puppets to act out using Psalm 23 as comfort in a time of trouble. In this workshop the focus is on verse 4.
- In the Storytelling Workshop students will learn about sheep and the tough job of a shepherd, from a storyteller dressed as a Bible times shepherd. They will play a True/False quiz game involving herding “sheep.”
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI
Photo credits: Click here for info on banner photo (not visible in readers or email).