During the school year, on Sunday mornings each Rotation for our Cool Disciples (our 1st – 6th graders at FUMC in Ann Arbor, MI) includes six workshops. In January, we’ll be studying about John the Baptist, about Jesus’ baptism, and about baptism today.
Read about our story in Matthew 3.
Hint: On this blog you can click on words that are bold and a different color, and you’ll open up an internet site. (In our case, always safe ones!) This link sends you to a site where you can read our Bible passage. Pretty cool, yes?
Here is the schedule of workshops for the next three weeks…
|Room 211||Room 212||Pine Room||Room 215||Room 204||Social Hall|
|1/16||2nd grade||5th grade||3rd grade||6th grade||4th grade||1st grade|
|1/23||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade||5th grade||6th grade||3rd grade|
|1/30||3rd grade||6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
What’s happening in each workshop?
- In the Art Workshop students will create molas. Molas are a fabric art form practiced by the Kuna Indians in Panama. Our project will use paper and focus on symbols of baptism.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will creative edible “locusts” while learning about John the Baptist and the important job that he had. (Do you suppose they will actually eat their creations?!)
- In the Drama Workshop students will enact the story of John the Baptist preaching “Repent.” They will also enact Jesus’ baptism and they will run through the Baptismal service by baptizing a doll.
- In the Games Workshop students will participate in a reverse Jeopardy game which will reinforce story details.
- In the Storytelling Workshop students will enjoy a visit from John the Baptist!
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of the video The Animated Stories from the New Testament: John the Baptist while enjoying popcorn (can’t have a movie without popcorn!)
I wonder which workshop will be the favorite of your child?