On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC our Cool Disciples experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops.
November’s Rotation is about two sisters in the Bible, Mary and Martha. These two have different priorities about hospitality – how their house guests should be treated. Things quickly come to a head! Whose priority is a better choice? Read what Jesus has to say about this question in Luke 10:38-42.
Why is this story so important? We all lead busy lives. Boy, do our kids have full schedules! What is one to do when faced with a list of numerous “good” activities? Do we place certain pursuits higher on the to-do list, while others wait in the wings? It’s a tricky process often requiring last minute juggling. The story of Mary and Martha speaks to this balancing act and urges us to be sure to include one critical item: spending time with God. A great topic to discuss with your family! Ask your kids about it.
For Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule for November…
|11/5||Video Workshop||Watch a video called Martin the Cobbler to see a different sort of hospitality – welcoming God into our lives! Discuss how we invite God.|
|11/12||Cooking Workshop||Discuss hospitality and be hospitable! Make something yummy to give away.|
|11/19||Drama Workshop||Experience the story of Mary and Martha by acting out the story.|
|11/26||Games Workshop||Play a quiz game that has no right or wrong answers but demonstrates listening and choices.|
And here is what is happening on Sundays at the downtown location…
|Social Hall||Room 204||Room 211||Room 212||Room 215||Pine Room|
|11/13||2nd grade||5th grade||3rd grade||6th grade||4th grade||1st grade|
|11/20||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade||5th grade||6th grade||3rd grade|
|11/27||3rd grade||6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
What’s happening in each workshop?
- Art Workshop: Create a symbol from clay, using time-honored “rock art” techniques (carving rock) to remind us to balance our busy lives to include time with God. Display this creation where it will be noticed!
- Cooking Workshop: Discuss hospitality and be hospitable! Make quick breads to give away to Alpha House and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Drama Workshop: Experience the story of Mary and Martha by acting out the story.
- Games Workshop: Play a quiz game that has no right or wrong answers but demonstrates listening and choices. (All groups of kids will be visiting Games this month, one room for 1st-3rd and one room for 4th-6th.)
- Video Workshop: What would happen if someone famous were coming to your house for lunch? How would you prepare? Watch a Claymation video called Martin the Cobbler to see a different sort of hospitality – welcoming God into our lives! Discuss how we invite God.
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI
Photo credits: Click here for info on banner photo (not visible in readers or email).
Painting by Johannes Vermeer entitled “Christ in the House of Martha and Mary” obtained via Wikimedia Commons [Public domain].