To see a growing list of opportunities to foster faith learning at home for our current Rotation story :: click here.
On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC our Cool Disciples experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops. In January 2012, we are starting a study on an important Old Testament character – Moses.
The stories about Moses are sizable! They cover 40 chapters in the Old Testament book of Exodus! We have chosen to teach Moses in sections, beginning this month with Moses’ birth and his float among bulrushes, to his burning bush experience as an adult. (Next month we’ll follow up with the sequel, about Moses and the plagues on the Egyptians!)
Read about our story in Exodus 1:1-4:17. Yep, it’s a big story. Break it down; read a bit of it every night at the dinner table. Hey! That makes me think that I need to post a family reading plan.
Stay tuned! Here it is! In the meantime, here is a short one-minute video introducing our story, from What’s in the Bible, Vol. 2.
What workshops will we offer this month?
For Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule for the rest of January 2012…
|1/14||Games Workshop||Play a review game modeled after the game Cranium. Focus on story events. This game involves using a life-sized game board!|
|1/21||Storytelling Workshop||Hear the story of Moses’ life from a visitor – Moses himself!|
|1/28||Cooking Workshop||Hear the story about Moses from a portion of a newly released video, What’s in the Bible, Vol. 2 Let My People Go. Make something to take home to tell the story of Moses – edible baby Moses baskets.|
For Sundays at the downtown location, here is the schedule of workshops for January 2012…
|Social Hall||Room 204||Room 211||Room 212||Room 215||Pine Room|
|1/15||2nd grade||5th grade||3rd grade||6th grade||4th grade||1st grade|
|1/22||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade||5th grade||6th grade||3rd grade|
|1/29||3rd grade||6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
What’s happening in each workshop downtown?
- In the Art Workshop students will use a variation of the ancient Jewish art form of micrography to create a burning bush scene. (Micrography uses very small writing to create shapes and designs.) Focus on the burning bush portion of the Moses story
- In the Cooking Workshop students will hear the story about Moses from a portion of a newly released video, What’s in the Bible, Vol. 2 Let My People Go. Make something to take home to tell the story of Moses – edible baby Moses baskets.
- In the Drama Workshop students will participate in enacting the burning bush portion of the story. (Watch for a possible video clip?)
- In the Games Workshop students will play a review game modeled after Cranium, focusing on events in our story. This game involves using a life-sized game board!
- In the Storytelling Workshop students will hear the story via a “visitor” posing as Moses from Bible times. (I hear he’s been growing his beard to look the part!)
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of the animated video Nest Entertainment: Moses, enjoy popcorn (can’t have a movie without popcorn!) and learn story details.
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI
Photo credits: Click here for info on banner photo (not visible in readers or email).
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.