First some important stuff for adults:
Each year we choose a VBC mission for kids to support. This year we have two projects:
1. Collecting boxes of cereal for Ann Arbor’s own Bryant Community Center.
2. Collecting coins (or paper money!) so that kids at the Evelyn S. Chapman Memorial United Methodist Elementary School in Monrovia, Liberia, can have bathrooms with flush toilets.
Both offerings can be turned in at the start of VBC each day at the front of the Sanctuary.
Now, here’s what your kids did today…
First we all gathered together in the
royal castle Sanctuary…
for Sing & Play Rock. We learned our theme song, appropriately titled: “Stand Together.” Hear the tune in a short music video in this post. We had fun learning other new songs, most of them had motions to go along with the tune.
A special clue (which was hidden in a helmet!) gave us a hint about our Bible story. Ask your child to tell you what our passage was and re-read it in the Bible at Psalm 23. (Any time you see highlighted words, you can click on them to be taken to a link, in this case, one where you can read the 23rd Psalm.) King David wrote Psalm 23; he wrote about God’s love. We learned that…
God’s love helps us stand strong!
(We heard that phrase a lot today.) Our key Bible verse for the day fits right in; it’s from another psalm that David wrote:
“I love you, Lord;
you are my strength.”
At Sing & Play Rock we met a couple of interesting characters: Truman and Wally.
Truman is our Bible Buddy for the day. (That’s him over on the left.) He’ll help us to remember that God’s love helps us stand strong! (Bible Buddies look a lot different this year! Much flatter.)
Wally wants to become a knight but I think that a knight needs to be able to ride a real horse. We will hear from Wally every day this week. I wonder what Wally will do?
What happened next? The preschoolers went off to their special rooms and did the following:
- Games – Played games such as “Follow the Shepherd,” “Sheep Herding,” and “Where’s the Heart?” They had extra time – great for building castles!
- Drama/Bible Adventures – Acted like sheep as they explored King David’s description of God’s love in Psalm 23. (King David used to be a shepherd!) In the picture below they learn about “knee-to-knee circles.” Great for talking.
- Chadder’s Theater – Kids watched a video about Chadder the Chipmunk. What sort of troubles is Chadder into this year? Will he be strong enough to help out his friend Joey by doing movie stunts?
- Crafts – We made Truman’s Tumblers and Kingdom Crowns.
Meanwhile elementary kids visited the following stations:
- Epic Bible Adventures – In this station kids get to hear our Bible story in a special way. They rested in a peaceful pasture with King David, traveled to a dark valley and talked about fear and then were anointed with sweet-smelling oil! (Something they did a lot in Bible times.)
- Tournament Games – which included Round Table Scramble, Rowdy Ring Toss, and Well, Well, Well – an interesting game where some got wet!
- Chadder’s Royal Theatre & Missions – We watched a video to see if Chadder would be strong enough to do movie stunts to help out Joey, his friend.
- Imagination Station – Explored using a Truman’s Tumbler. This tumbler needs something inside of it in order to work – a marble. Just like we need God’s love inside of us.
Our “older” elementary kids in our Grad Group are working every day this week on various mission projects – both local and global! More about them as the week progresses.
Mid-way through our time this morning we all gathered at The King’s Kitchen for a yummy snack of Heart Tart’s. We also spent a bit of time getting to know our crews better and recording “God Sightings.”
At the end of our morning everyone gathered together again for Fanfare Finale. Lady Adele was there! We sang more Kingdom Rock songs and talked in our Kingdom Crews about our day. We also saw an experiment to discover which balloon would “stand strong.”
See you tomorrow!
Carol (on behalf of the VBC Team)
Did you know that you are the spiritual leader of your family? Need help with this role? Join our readers! Receive new posts to this blog by email. Just enter your email address at the box on the upper right side of this page. (And then clicking the button). There will be one post every day this week of VBC, but most weeks there is only one post a week. No spam!
Here are a couple of questions to talk about around the dinner table:
- King David had some rough times in his life, yet he always believed that God was with him. What are some rough times that you’ve been through?
- How do you know that God’s love is always with you?
- Where did you see God today?
Photo credits: Click here for info on banner photo (not visible in readers or email).
Bible Buddy image used by permission of Group Publishing.
Today’s photos taken by moi.