To see a growing list of opportunities to foster faith learning at home
for this month’s story :: click here.
On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC, our kids, whom we call Cool Disciples, experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops. Scroll down to view our October schedule of workshops. This month we’ll be starting a Rotation on the Old Testament story of Abraham and Sarah.
The Old Testament? Why study the Old Testament?
After all, isn’t it the Old (i.e., Out-dated, Leaden, Dusty) Testament?
While the Old Testament can seem distant from our ways of thinking, there are important reasons why we include it in our studies:
- It’s the Bible Jesus learned. (In fact, he likely could recite all of it by heart.)
- Jesus and the apostles constantly refer to it in their teaching.
- It’s the story of God’s interactions with people; calling them to be in a relationship with him.
- We see Abraham and Sarah on a journey. They took the first step and walked into the unknown, solely by faith. There is an element of mystery in walking faithfully. Abraham and Sarah can be a model for what it means to take a leap of faith.
And the story of Abraham and Sarah is of particular interest…
Read about our story in Genesis 12:1-9, 13:14b-18, 15:1-7, 15:18a, 17:1-9, 17:15-17, 18:1-15, 21:1-3. Note that this is a long story and portions of Genesis are being skipped on purpose!
For Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule…
|10/5||Drama Workshop||One more week on the story of Jesus in the Temple as a young boy. Enact this story using masks in the form of a Greek drama.|
|10/12||Puppet Workshop||Starting on the story of Abraham and Sarah by using “handle bag” puppets to enact the story.|
|10/19||No Workshop this week||Worship with your family|
|10/26||A Special Workshop||Make preparations to help lead worship on November 2nd and make a Halloween snack.|
On Sundays at the downtown location…
|10/6||Enjoy worship and World Communion Sunday.
(Leave the service with your child after the children’s moment for Rev. Nancy Lynn’s Family Communion Class, and rejoin the service in time for Communion. Recommended for age K and up.)
|Room 212||Social Hall||Pine Room||Room 211||Room 215|
|10/13||3rd grade**||5th & 6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade|
|10/20||4th grade||1st grade||2nd grade||5th & 6th grade||3rd grade|
|10/27||Attend a special worship service with kids in leadership roles.|
** 3rd graders will be receiving Bibles in worship during the children’s moment. Then they’ll have a special class!
What’s happening in each workshop?
- In the Art Workshop students will discuss blessings in their lives and how they can bless others. They will create and learn how to make use of a blessing box.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will make sugar cookies to give to others who are blessings in their lives.
- In the Games Workshop students will participate in a Trivial Pursuit type of game to learn story details.
- In the Puppets Workshop students will use handle-bag puppets to enact the story.
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of an animated video on our story, Covenant Discovery, from the Great Bible Discovery series. Explore how we trust God’s promise.
We’ll be continuing our study of Abraham and Sarah next month!
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI