It’s the alarm clock,
the hungry family,
the laundry piles,
the egg timer
the “you’ve got mail”...
All things that call us; demanding we turn our attention their way.
What calls have you heard lately?
Anybody heard God calling?
Of course things were a lot quieter in Abram’s day. (The bleating of a few sheep perhaps?) This week we’ll be starting a new Rotation at FUMC. We’ll learn about how Abraham (whose name started off as Abram) heard God’s call and how he responded to that call.
Abram, get up and go! Leave your country. Leave your relatives and your father’s home, and travel to the land I will show you. Don’t worry — I will guide you there. I have plans to make a great people from your descendants. And I am going to put a special blessing on you and cause your reputation to grow so that you will become a blessing and example to others.Genesis 12:1-2
In preparation for the start of our new Rotation, talk about “calls” at the family dinner table (or wherever your family is gathered together). Start off with a game. Make it like the “I’m packing a suitcase” game, except in this case the first person tells something that called them away, for example, the alarm clock called them away from a dream. The next person repeats the first call and adds their own: the bell that called you away from recess. (They don’t have to be actual events that happened; President Obama called on the phone and asked you to come to Washington?) And so on, until someone can’t remember the list of calls!
Play again if you desire. Eventually turn towards a discussion about how many different types of calls there are on our daily lives. Ask these questions:
- Do you suppose that there are so many calls on our lives that we can start to respond without thinking?
- What can help us to stop and remember to prioritize which calls we’ll respond to?
- What about God, does he call us?
- Name some ways that God has called you in the past.
- In what ways might God use to reach us? (through the words of a friend, a Bible passage, a song…)
- What might keep us from hearing God’s call?
- What can we do to help us listen for God’s call?
Ringy, ding, ding. Check the caller-ID. It might be God calling.