This week it’s Vacation Bible Camp (VBC) at FUMC where we are…
Catching the wave of God’s amazing love at
(Be sure to visit all of the days of our hanging out at the Surf Shack.)
We started off our morning with everyone — the “Surfers” — gathered in their crews with their leaders — AKA “Lifeguards.” (We are totally into surfer lingo here dude. Hang 10!).
We met Skippy and her friend, Snappy the Crab. Snappy is funny! I hope we get to see more of Snappy this week. Somehow I think we might!
Each day during VBC we are learning about God.
Today we learned that:
(Incidentally, whenever we heard, “God Creates!” — we responded by saying, “Amazing!”)
Yes, God created everything! We can read all about God creating, in the Bible in Genesis 1. During Epic Ride (our Bible story telling time) our storyteller shared how God created the world for all of us. We encountered the majesty of the creation process! And we discovered that God is still creating and that everyone is a part of God’s creative plan. God’s creation is better because we’re in it!
We were introduced to a Scripture Treasure, a special magnet which we could take home with us! (I hope we can collect a set — one for each day!) It has today’s “Wave Words” — “God Creates” and it has our pop-up Bible verse for the day:
How majestic is your name throughout the earth! Psalm 8:1b
That pretty much says it all when it comes to how we feel about the fact that God creates!
Here’s briefly what your kids did today, as shown in a few pictures.
Ask your kids to tell you more about what they did! (There are more photos in a slideshow at the bottom of this post.)
The preschoolers went off to Preschool Pier…
Meanwhile, elementary kids…
Our “older” elementary kids in our Grad Group are working every day this week on various mission projects – both local and global! They are going to be reporting on our collection progress. What are we collecting? Glad you asked…
Each year we choose a mission for kids to support. This year we have two projects to choose from:
- A local project: Please consider donating a box or two of cereal which will be distributed through Ann Arbor’s own Bryant Community Center. During the school year many families in this community rely on meals provided by the schools. In the summer months, there is no additional assistance to replace the school meals, so a box of cereal can be a big help.
- An international project: Collecting monetary donations that will help out Camp Garjay, a youth camp in Liberia. Camp Garjay is a United Methodist camp that offers athletic activities, community service projects, lessons, Bible quiz-bowl, and lots more, for children and youth ages 10-25 years. What a great way to help under-privileged kids! Bring your coins to the collection at the front of the Sanctuary. Thanks!
Mid-way through our time this morning we all gathered for a healthy snack at Shack Snacks. We ate trees!
At the end of our morning everyone gathered together again for more singing. A good time was held by all!
Continue the learning at home!
Here are a couple of questions to talk about around the family dinner table.
Note: We all have questions. We don’t always have answers and this is perfectly okay. Sometimes we have to live in the mystery.
- Sit down with a box of crayons and some paper. Create! Ask: What do you feel when you get to create something new? How does God feel about what he creates? (God thinks that it is all good!)
- Did God really create the entire universe in six 24-hour days? (We read Genesis 1 as a poem — not all poems must rhyme. This poem was told around camp fires when someone, probably a child, asked, “how did God create the world?” It helps if we think about how this poem explained to it’s original authors, who God is, how God relates to his creation, and how we are to relate to God.)
- Review today’s Bible verse from Psalm 8:1. In what ways does creation tell us that God’s name is majestic (stunning, superb, awesome)? Go out and look for some of God’s majesty!
- There are actually two creation stories! (Genesis 1:1 – 2:4a and 2:4b-25) Why do you suppose there are two of them?
Enjoy the slideshow! (Start it by clicking the triangle button.)
See you tomorrow!
~~ Carol, on behalf of the VBC Team
Surf Shack images used by permission of Cokesbury.
Rest of photos courtesy of various volunteers at VBC!
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.