Do you have plans for the 4th of July – perhaps a picnic or watching a parade or some fireworks?
Doing these sorts of things is almost required! They are rituals!
Rituals and traditions are repeated activities that help family members develop a sense of belonging.
How about some traditions that help your kids realize they belong to God’s family? Try some of these:
- How about attending Communion worship? (If you’re in the area, join us at FUMC. Communion is held on the first Sunday of every month). Being a part of God’s family involves worshipping God together.
- Plan a time to gather together (frequently!) and read the Bible. Might I suggest looking here for our current study for kids? Being part of God’s family involves “knowing” God. We can know God by reading the Bible.
- Choose a service project (perhaps once a month!) View a list of potential projects here. Being part of God’s family involves loving and serving God and others.
- Once a week practice a time of Sabbath. (It doesn’t have to be on Sunday). Here’s a way to get started: Surrender one heavily used device and let it rest. (The TV? A cell phone? A computer?) Being part of God’s family involves listening for God.
- Practice a time of thankful prayers. (For ideas see here.) Being part of God’s family involves talking to God.
- Committ to learning a verse of scripture. How about John 3:16-17. Being part of God’s family involves living with God’s word in our hearts.
What rituals do you practice in your family?
Fireworks by bayasaa who licensed this photo under: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic.
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to email@example.com. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.