New here? Easily read future posts (one a week) by subscribing over on the right. Enter your e-mail address to have posts sent directly to your inbox. Or click on the orange RSS icon to subscribe in a reader. Thanks for visiting.
On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC our Cool Disciples experience Rotation Model Christian education. They learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly workshops that each focus on different learning styles.
In February 2012, we are continuing the story of Moses. Last month we learned about Moses from his watery beginning in a papyrus basket, to his dramatic experience as an adult meeting God in a burning bush. God wanted Moses to bring his people, the Israelites, out of Egypt to the Promised Land (Exodus 3:9-10).
We saw Moses reluctantly agree to lead God’s people to freedom. And this is where we pick up our story for this month. As we will see, freeing the Hebrews from Pharaoh’s grip is not an easy task. It involves frogs, and gnats, and flies! And a mysterious “passing over” with protection provided by the blood of a lamb. Read about our story in Exodus 5:1-6:13, 7:1-12:42. (It’s another long one.
Stay tuned for Here is another reading plan to break it into manageable chunks!)
This is where the “Schedule” used to appear — which grades were visiting which workshops over the course of this Rotation. However it was removed as it was sort of out of date 🙂 Our current schedule of workshops, for whatever Rotation we are currently on, can be found on this page.
For prosperity, here is what we did in each workshop for this story: (Be sure to catch pictures of the action!)
- In the Art Workshop students will create comic strips that tell the story using their thumbprints (Ed Emberley style).
- In the Cooking Workshop students will make unleavened bread and discuss the Passover and the Israelites’ departure from Egypt.
- In the Games Workshop students will participate in a Bible Bowling game as they learn story characters, events and story sequence. Which team will win – the Gnats, or the Flies, or the Frogs?
- In the Music Workshop students will learn a silly song about the story. The words to B-I-N-G-O never sounded like this!
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of the animated video The Prince of Eygpt. I wonder how closely the creators of video follow the story as told in the Bible?
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI
Line drawing of Hebrews enslaved, from the book The Big Picture Bible Time Line by Gospel Light. Used with permission.