For kids, repetition is good. This is one of the primary reasons why we use the Workshop Rotation Model for Christian education on Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC in Ann Arbor, MI. The kids hear about the same Bible story all month long. It’s not boring because each week they explore the story using a different style of learning – visual, auditory, or kinesthetic – to name a few.
In September, we are studying “The Woman at the Well.” Read about our story in the New Testament Gospel of John at John 4:4-42. For those of you with younger children, don’t look too hard for this story in your children’s story Bible. It likely won’t be there! Instead, tell the story; tell it multiple times. (Repetition!) Download a story version suitable for younger kids. (<–Click on those words to access the file on a Google doc.) Perhaps older kids would enjoy it as well!
For Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule for September:
|9/1||No workshop this Saturday||Enjoy worship with your family.|
|9/8||Games Workshop||Play an interesting game or two.|
|9/15||Art Workshop||Create water color paintings.|
|9/22||Video Workshop||Watch the live-action video The Gospel of John.|
|9/29||Storytelling Workshop||Hear the story as told by the woman who met Jesus at a well.|
For Sundays at the downtown location, here is the schedule of workshops…
|Date||Cooking||Art 2||Video||Games||Storytelling||Art 1|
|Social Hall||Pine Room||Room 215||Room 211||Room 204||Room 212|
|9/9||2nd grade||5th grade||3rd grade||6th grade||4th grade||1st grade|
|9/16||1st grade||4th grade||2nd grade||5th grade||6th grade||3rd grade|
|9/23||3rd grade||6th grade||1st grade||4th grade||5th grade||2nd grade|
|9/30||This week we’ll start our October workshops. Stay tuned for that schedule.|
What’s happening in each workshop?
- In the Art Workshop students will explore art works that depict this story and then create a watercolor painting. We’ll have two Art Workshops so that all of the grades will visit Art this month.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will discuss changes that occur – both that we can see and those we can’t see. Change ordinary ingredients into a tasty snack
- In the Games Workshop students will play a game that illustrates compassion and learn story details about the Woman at the Well.
- In the Storytelling Workshop students will hear the story from the woman who was at the well.
- In the Video Workshop students will watch portions of the live-action video The Gospel of John.(can’t have a movie without popcorn!)
If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI
Click here for info on banner photo (not visible in readers or email).
Jesus and the Samaritan Woman by tribalicious, who licensed this photo on Flickr under a Creative Commons License.