Some keys points to take from this story (with help from Rev. Neil MacQueen):
- This is not a story about bullies. The “giants” for our kids might be problems with other kids, but that’s where the literal parallel ends. This is a story about using faith in God to take-down our troubles.
- The rocks in this story are not secret weapons. David’s slingshot is an improbable weapon; small stones are highly unlikely to dent a giant’s armor. We need to trust God to help us face giants.
- David is a role model. He was raised in the faith, and when the time came, his heart was found true and that gave him both the opportunity to serve God, and the courage to do so! How can we raise kids so that they are prepared to serve God, and to courageously do seemingly impossible things?
It all comes down to this:
How does a person develop faith in God?
Journey with us and learn!
On Sundays, at the downtown location, here is our schedule of workshops:
|Date||Our workshops for 1st through 6th graders…|
|2/15||Everyone will gather together in the Social Hall to watch the animated video, The Beginners Bible Series: The Story of David and Goliath. What a great way to start a Rotation!|
|Date||Our workshops for 1st through 5th graders…|
|Room 215||Room 211||Social Hall||See below|
|2/22||4th grade||1st grade||3rd grade||2nd & 5th – Games in Room 212|
|3/1||Enjoy worship and Communion with your family.
The sermon is on Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16. Read it before hand! It should sound familiar.
|3/8||2nd & 5th grade||3rd grade||1st grade||4th grade – Cooking in the Social Hall|
|3/15||3rd grade||4th grade||2nd & 5th grade||1st grade – Storytelling in Room 212|
And here’s what the 6th graders will be doing… (They’ll mostly be in the Pine Room.)
|Cooking Workshop||Worship with your family.||Games Workshop||Attend the 7th/8th grade Explorer’s Class|
And on Saturdays at the Green Wood location, here is the schedule…
|Date||Workshop or Activity|
|2/14||A service project|
What’s happening in each workshop?
- In the Drama Workshop students will experience, through performing a skit, how faith in God gave David victory and can give us victory over the giant problems in our lives.
- In the Cooking Workshop students will make (and eat!) a giant cookie while learning the story details.
- In the Games Workshop students will learn story details by playing a game that involves throwing a “sock rocket” at a giant Goliath.
On Saturday nights and on Sunday mornings at FUMC our Cool Disciples experience Rotation Model Christian education, as they learn about Bible stories and concepts through kid-friendly multimedia workshops. If you are in the area please join us for the fun learning at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor, MI.
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.