Did you know that when you praise God, you are showing him respect? This week at our summer video series we joined Clive and Ian in their Wonder-Blimp of Knowledge. We looked for the answer to a big question:
How Do We Show Respect to God Through Praise?
Use the following provocative questions to jumpstart discussion! Start the conversation in the car on the way home from church, or around the family dinner table, or wherever your family is gathered together.
Ask these questions even if you missed the video showing!
Have some family time discussion…
- What are some ways that God is amazing?
- When I think about all of those ways God is amazing, I feel like shouting for joy! Brainstorm together a cheer; something that you can spontaneously shout out that will have special meaning for your family. For our family I like: Hulbert’s hurrah El Haggadol ! (El Haggadol is the Hebrew name for God which means “The Great God.” Check out other names for God.)
- Sunday school lady helped us to see that when we don’t respect God, that’s like saying, “I don’t think you are important God. I don’t need you in my life.” How does praising God show respect for God?
- What is a novel way that I can praise God this coming week?
- We watched second video of a mime troupe showing us ways to praise God. Watch the video below. What do you think of their suggestions as ways to praise God? Which ones can you try out? The Bible tells us how to praise God! Look up each of the Bible references to see. (See the list below the video.)
(If reading this in an email, you may need to watch the video at this link.)
|Hebrew word||Pronounced||Meaning||Bible reference|
|TOWDAH||to-DA||to sacrifice||Psalms 50:23|
|YADAH||yah-DA||to lift your hands||2 Chronicles 20:19-21|
|BAROUCH||BAR-ou||to bow||Psalms 95:6|
|SHABACH||Sha-BACH||to shout||Ezra 3:11|
|ZAMAR||ZAH-mar||to play an instrument||1 Chron. 15:16|
|HALAL||Ha-LELL||to rave and boast||Psalms 44:8|
|TEHILLAH||Te-HEAL-a||all of the above!||Psalm 22:3|
Photo from VBC is from my archives.
Photos from the producer of our video Clive & Ian’s Wonder-Blimp of Knowledge, under a fair use category.
Are you seeing ads? They are not from me! They are placed by WordPress, who otherwise offers a free platform from which to share lots of good-ness. If you see an inappropriate ad, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL, the date/time the ad appeared, and a screenshot of the ad.